- This class has passed.
April 21, 2018 – DEFENSIVE RIFLE/CARBINE (8 to 10 hours)
Intermediate Handgun or an equivalent handgun course of instruction is a prerequisite for this course. (Contact Pro Arms Inc for prerequisite qualifications)
Students will learn to manipulate their rifle during loading/unloading, stoppage reduction and reloads (tactical and emergency reloads). Students will learn to zero their rifles (50 and 100 yard shooting).
The use and selection of differing types of rifle accessories/equipment such as sight, grips, rails, lights and stocks will be discussed. Rifle and pistol calibers and their application will be discussed.
Students will learn employment considerations in the use of the rifle (Indoor, outdoor, etc.). Students will learn to accurately engage targets from 5 to 25 yards and to place accurate, rapid fire shots on single and multiple paper targets. Students will learn to transition from rifle to pistol and the situations when transition may be necessary.
This class is designed for those who have little or no formal instruction on the rifle in a defensive scenario. The class will focus on the use of the rifle in close range defensive situations. The class will be based on the AR-15 platform however it is not limited to that weapon. Student instruction will include safety, stance, zeroing for iron sights and optics, use of cover, carbine to handgun transition, sight alignment and trigger control. Students should have their carbine zeroed prior to attending the class.
Students will fire approximately 500 rifle/100 pistol rounds of ammunition in this course at both steel and paper targets.
This course requires a moderate amount of physical activity.
Course will end with a performance evaluation.
The training will be led by the Range Master and chief firearms instructor of a major metropolitan Florida police department and assisted by Pro Arms instructional staff.
The training courses are all day courses (8 to 10 hours) and will include classroom and live fire instruction. Topics covered will include; safety, rifle review, rifle presentation/handling (drawing and ready gun), ammunition management (loading, reloading, unloading), trigger control, stoppages and speed and accuracy drills.
THERE WILL BE NO LUNCH BREAK – PLEASE BRING FOOD AND DRINK FOR A WORKING LUNCH
This training is limited to twelve (12) students who must possess the following training and equipment prior to the start of the class:
- Intermediate Handgun
- A serviceable rifle and handgun
- 500 rounds of quality factory rifle ammunition (no reloads)
- 100 rounds of quality factory pistol ammunition or 600 rounds if shooting pistol caliber rifle (no reloads)
- 3 – 30 round (preferred) or 5 – 20 round rifle magazines
- 2 pistol magazines
- Rifle sling
- A non-collapsible outside the waistband holster (a kydex holster is preferred)
- Pistol magazine carrier
- Rifle magazine carrier
- Eye and ear protection
- Hat or cap with a brim
- Note taking material
- Personal comfort items
The following stipulations will apply to this training:
- Students must complete all aspects of the course to receive a certificate.
- This course requires at a minimum a carbine sized rifle. Pistol caliber 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP rifles are the minimum acceptable caliber
- If rifles or handguns or ammunition become unserviceable, spare rifles/handguns and ammunition will be available at an additional cost (students may bring a spare rifle/handgun with appropriate ammunition, holster and magazine carrier)
- Any activity deemed unsafe will result in removal from the training and no refund or certificate will be given
Cost of training: $180.00 (NO REFUNDS AFTER MARCH 31)
Minimum class size – 8 students. Refunds issued if class doesn’t make.
This training is limited to the first twelve (12) paid applicants and will be held at Pro Arms’ private training facility. (This location requires a liability waiver be completed by all participants)